8.10.2009

It's A Soup Kinda Day

I know it's 100 degrees outside and the last thing I should be thinking about is a nice, warm bowl of soup, but guess what? I am! Now that I'm in Miami, I never really have the reason of cold weather for making soup like I did during the harsh DC winters. Nevertheless, that hasn't stopped me from making one of my favorite foods.

Today I got my trusty soup book out and decided to make Chicken and Almond Soup. It sounded interesting and I was curious to see what it would taste like. As I found out, the smell alone was worth making this soup!! The poblano chili packed immense flavor throughout and made my kitchen smell deeeelicious.

Chicken and Almond Soup

Ingredients:
  • 6 tbsp butter
  • 1 leek, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp fresh, shredded ginger
  • 3/4 cup almonds, finely ground (use food processor)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp crushed black peppercorns
  • 1 poblano chili, chopped
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup boneless, skinless chicken, cubed
  • 2 tbsp fresh, chopped cilantro
  • 2 1/2 cups of water
  • 1 cup light cream

Instructions:

1. Melt the butter in a deep skillet or wok. Add the chopped leek and the ginger root and sauté until soft but only just turning brown.

2. Lower the heat and add the ground almonds, salt, peppercorns, chili, carrots, peas, and chicken. Fry for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, stirring constantly. Add the cilantro.

3. Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly. Put the mixture in the food processor or blender and process for about 90 seconds. Pour in the water and blend for another 30 seconds.

4. Pour back into the rinsed pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and add the cream gradually while stirring. Simmer for 2 more minutes and you're done.

5. If you'd like, serve soup with a sprig of cilantro and a few thin slices of avocado to complete the dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment