11.04.2009

Okra Success

It's been a few months since I planted okra seeds in a plastic bin I had laying around the house. I had never grown okra before but was pleasantly surprised to see how easy it was. The plants are very hardy and love lots of sunshine. And because I live in Miami where it's hot as all hell, I watered the plants every day; however, I'm sure anywhere else you can get away with watering them every other day.

5/25/09
7/15/09
8/23/09
9/7/09
9/09
After the okra sprouted, I realized that it was going to take more than two plants to give me the amount of okra I needed to make Quimbombo (okra stew). So what I decided was that I would let the okra dry out on the plant and harvest the seeds so that I can plant a bunch of them later when I expand my garden.



***For those with sensitive skin, always wear garden gloves when handling the plant. The okra's beautiful leaves are a little prickly and can cause allergic reaction.***

If you have kids that are into gardening or you want to get them involved in gardening, planting okra is a good way to get them started. Besides being easy to grow, the okra is a cool-looking veggie. The kids will be seeing the fruit of their labor in no time!

Here's a great website to help you get started: Tinker's Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment